I think my husband and I have been trying to ignore the fact that Owen is growing up and getting bigger. Yesterday, I received a startling text message from Adam while I was in class. "Owen climbed out of his crib and woke me up this morning." What?! Oh crap. I was hoping that this day wouldn't come any time soon.
I now have one more thing to worry about. Now I will be thinking about Owen falling out of his crib and coming into our room in the middle of the night, or worse, when we are catching some rest while he is supposed to be napping. This is not a good thing.
And to add to this, we have also gotten Owen his own potty. We are not technically potty training, but we wanted to get him a potty so he could get used to it. He is so fascinated by the big potty that we thought it might be a good idea to get him his own so he can "go" like mommy and daddy. The first time he sat on it, I almost cried, and Adam and I clapped and took pictures. Of course, his pants and diaper were still on, but we were still so proud of him. Owen got a big grin on his face and clapped along with us.
I am just so afraid that I am going to miss things with him because I am always so busy with school. I really wish I could slow things down so I can make sure and have more time with him. The realization that he is now getting out of his crib really took me by surprise today. I forgot that he is almost two years-old, and that he is getting to the age where escaping from his room is possible.
I try to tell myself that once I graduate next fall I will be able to spend more time with him, but I just think about the precious moments I could miss until then. All I can do is try to make more time for him and to really pay attention when I am spending time with him.
I really just wish he would stop growing up so fast, especially because I really enjoy my rest time when he's "napping."
Jill, I hate to tell you this, for I know it will break your heart, but soon Owen will be escaping the house and going off to school. The years will melt away quickly, and you are beginning to realize that. We cannot make time stand still, but we can enjoy the moments. Do not fret about Owen's climbing out of the bed; relish the moment. Take joy in his achievement. I know that it is a step toward toddlerhood, which is a step toward boyhood, which is a step toward manhood, but you want him to take those steps. Just enjoy them as he moves forward.
ReplyDelete