This Saturday, October 15, is my birthday. Besides having dinner with my husband to recognize the occasion, I do not plan on doing anything special. I actually have not had a formal celebration since my 27th birthday, nor do I want one. I am hoping that if I ignore my birthday, it won't come. I am already having a rough time this semester, and it just depresses me that I have one more thing to worry about: getting older. I know that early thirties isn't necessarily old, but I am still wondering where my twenties went.
Lately, I have been thinking a lot about the past and all the crazy things my friends and I used to do when we were young, single and childless. I would never want to go back to those days because I am happy with who I am now, but I sometimes think back to my former life. I can see myself as a silly young girl wearing a leopard print cowboy hat, glittery black tube top, chugging Coors Light, as I danced with my girlfriends to "Back That Ass Up" until the wee hours of the morning.
However, looking back, I didn't always make the best decisions. I spent most of my time worrying about what outfit I would wear, what would be the best club to go to, and wondering whether I would meet anyone special that night. I was funloving and carefree, but I sometimes found myself in bad situations. Thankfully, I figured things out and have moved passed those days.
Although I sometimes wonder how things went by so quickly, I am happier knowing that I have grown up and left those crazy days behind me. I had a lot of fun then, and I am thankful for the memories I made, but I am glad to be where I am at now. I feel that even though my twenties are behind me, I have learned some valuable lessons that I can apply to my life now and in the future.
My grandmother and ALL of my aunts have a motto that they live by, which is, "you're only as old as you want to be and age is nothing but a number." My grandmother is 74, and has not retired, still goes out to karaoke EVERY Thursday (without fail), and just remarried (for the first time in 35 years) two years ago. Not that you need to go out and "Back that A** Up," this weekend, (haha), but you're still a young woman with a lot of life to live!!
ReplyDeleteThis might be a naive thing to say, coming from someone who's going to be 23 this year--but before you roll your eyes, remember that years from now you'll be in your 60's and wonder where your 30's went! lol