Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up and witness the most astonishing side-show known to man!
Feast your eyes on the fantastical feats and captivating capabilities of the incredible Three-Headed Momster!
Watch as this amazing woman juggles three different lives simultaneously! Mother! Wife! Student!
Can she do it? Or will she buckle under the pressure of constant demands?
Or maybe she will spontaneously combust! Come one, come all! Please sit back and enjoy the show!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Perfection

This weekend I have ignored all school responsibility and spent some much-needed time with my family. Friday evening I went shopping with my mom, and then we went out to each. On Saturday, I spent the entire day with my son, Owen. We went to my nephew's birthday party at a nearby park. I enjoyed watching Owen run around the park as he examined his feet walking across wood chips, stared at the other kids, chased after a dog, and ate birthday cake and Cheetos. That evening I watched a movie while Owen bounced around on the couch and scooted across the room on his truck.
Since this semester started, I have not been able to relax and just simply enjoy watching Owen be a little boy. Although I had a wonderful time with him, I could never get homework off my mind. I felt incredibly guilty for not keeping up with my work. I tried to ignore that nagging voice in my mind and just be with my son, but I could not completely focus on him. I usually like to use the weekends to catch up on homework, but, being a mother, that is not always possible.
However, even though I was beating myself up for not doing my homework, I never worked on any of it. I just let my work sit in my book bag while I laughed and played with Owen the entire day. I don't know if that makes me lazy or if maybe I am coming to terms with the fact that sometimes I have to just be a mother even if that means sacrificing my grades. I am trying to learn that I do not have to be perfect 100 percent of the time.
Although I am still a responsible student, I am learning that it is okay to let my school responsibilities slide a little for the betterment of my family. My son will be two years-old in January, and I do not want to miss a thing. I want to better his life by getting my college degree, but I am not willing to miss the precious moments in his life that go by too fast. I am trying every day to tell myself: "I am not perfect, but that's okay."

2 comments:

  1. Jill! I think this is fabulous. Good on you for deciding what your priorities are and sticking to them, even if it was uncomfortable. While I understand what it's like to have homework ever hanging over your head (sigh), I can only imagine how much heavier, in your heart, it is to know that you should be spending time with your child.

    A friend of mine has two children that I used to tutor (one in 8th grade & the other in 10th) and a husband. She works for a law firm and has the nerve to go to school, all at the same time! lol/yikes! She asked me to tutor her kids again this year, but when I had to decline she asked how many hours I was taking this semester. When I told her, she scolded me and instructed me to take some time for myself, every 6 weeks. I'm still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you, Jill. While I work too hard myself, it is important to put our most important things first. Family is most important, and they should come first. Owen is more important than having a perfect assignment. You'll do fine on your assignments, which I am confident you will get done, but you need to have some time with that precious child while he is still a child, for time goes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete