Well, it's that time of year again: football season. What do I think about when I hear the words, "football season"? Why, I think of the Dallas Cowboys. I think of my husband sitting on the couch squealing with glee when his team scores a goal, and screaming and ranting in anger when the Cowboys lose or another team does them some horrible wrong.
I personally hate this time of year because of the Cowboys. I love autumn and feeling the temperature drop and watching the leaves fall from the trees. However, I do not enjoy hearing strings of curse words and blaring shouts fly across the house while my husband jumps up and down on the couch screaming at the television. Even worse is when he gets so upset that he shuts off the TV in the middle of the game and leaves the house. It is not uncommon for him to climb into his car and drive around town to let off steam. Sometimes he will even take off walking down the street, after dark, without a coat or a cell phone.
I love my husband, and I generally like him very much, but I do not like the Cowboys fan in him. He is a tortured fan. Any team that he considers "his team" continually upsets him and sends him into a rage. Don't even get me started on his reaction to the Rangers losing the World Series last year.
How can such a loving man turn into such a jerk during one season a year? At least the jerkiness is never toward our son or me. It is always centered on a team who lets him down year after year.
I have never been a sports fan, so maybe that is why I do not understand his behavior. I really just wish he would turn off the damn TV.
Like most men in America, your husband hates to see the Cowboys self-destruct .I know how he feels when watching a game on TV, and things don’t go as planned. Sometimes we wish we had the clip board in our hands, and we were on the side lines or the dugout. We like to make sure people know what we would have done differently. That’s just the little athlete in us all. It sounds like your husband played a little completive sports in his day.
ReplyDeleteWell this last Sunday I would imagine was a good one for you and your husband. The cowboy pulled back from a large deficit to win in overtime. What a game that was. I am sure everyone was gathered around the TV for that one.
Hold on and get ready. The Season is only in week three. The cowboys have a long season in front of them with lots of ups and downs. This is a very important time for your husband and myself. Stay with us as the season goes on and we cheer on our teams together.
Don’t even start with the rangers last year. They had a heck of a season. With playoffs just two weeks away, the rangers have a four game lead. Let’s see if they can hold the rest of the west off in hopes to clinch the pennant for the second year in a row. And then who knows, we may be on the other side of the fence at the end of the year.