Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up and witness the most astonishing side-show known to man!
Feast your eyes on the fantastical feats and captivating capabilities of the incredible Three-Headed Momster!
Watch as this amazing woman juggles three different lives simultaneously! Mother! Wife! Student!
Can she do it? Or will she buckle under the pressure of constant demands?
Or maybe she will spontaneously combust! Come one, come all! Please sit back and enjoy the show!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Five Years Ago

Five years ago, my nights were filled with bar-hopping, flirting and internet dating. Now my nights are filled with searching for a beloved stuffed animal, bedtime routines, college homework and getting to bed before 11 o'clock.

Five years ago, I was closing down bars; now I am closing down Target and Wal-Mart with last-minute grocery and diaper runs. I clip coupons, research deals, balance bank accounts, and pay bills online. I clean poop off of crib railings and bedroom walls, dole out Flintstones Vitamins and witness sippy cups of milk fly through the air, and splatter on my car windows.

I've been hit in the face with airborne wooden spoons, soaring books, and the freakishly hard head of a 20 month-old who decides to catapult his little body onto my bed.

But five years ago, I did not know the joy of a toothy grin and a gripping hug by a 20-month old, the sound of hearing, "Mamma," through the baby monitor, or seeing a curious face peer out the window at me as I leave for school each day. I did not know the real meaning of the word, "Mother".

Five years ago, I did not know the love and support of a man who tells me every day how beautiful I am, who encourages me when I am drowning in a sea of responsibility, and who always knows when I need a hug or a quick dance twirl.

I did not know the pleasure of excruciating mental work, and succeeding in college. I did not know the excitement of walking across a crowded stage among the blurred faces of my family as I received my Associate's degree; or my elation as I received my acceptance letter from Texas Wesleyan University.

Five years ago, I was one single, selfish broad. Now I am a student, a wife, and a mother. Now I am part of a family.

And now I am one busy broad.

2 comments:

  1. Jill, what a pleasure to read about your transformation; you have blossomed into the most wonderful being God ever created: a mother. Not only is your writing well done, but also your voice is clear and cogent. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story of your last five years is very motivating. It shows us how any individual has the power to live the life the way they choose. From reading your story, you made it very clear that you chose the high road for all good reasons. School is quite a task in itself, but you are juggling kids and school. How many hours are you taking? I would imagine it is hard to stay on top of things. It takes a very dedicated person to do what you are doing. I know you can do it simply because of your determination. Good luck with this year and keep that head on straight.

    ReplyDelete